Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 20: 1 pd loss/18.8 pds total lost/ Laughing vs Eating

Today I decided I needed to have fun, so I met with my friend Todd Jay, a  buddy and a great comedian.  Todd is single and lives in the swinging part of the city.  Trust me, except for our friendship, he has little interest in being dragged to the suburbs to go to Costco.  But going grocery shopping alone is getting more strenuous day by day, without being able to buy or taste any of the tantalizing products I see.  Once again I brought a proxy eater, Todd.  I graciously offered to buy him lunch, knowing full well it wouldn't cost over 3 bucks.  It didn't.  A humongous slice of pizza and a 20 oz coke came in at $2.77 cents.  I sat there watching him eat, sipping on my juice that I smuggled into the store.


After that we roamed the aisles, and Todd ate every sample that I demanded he eat.  The best part of the day?  When we walked by a sample lady who yelled at us, "Dried fruit and nuts?"  After we stopped laughing, we almost answered "Why yes, we are." Todd is gay, I am aging and drying up, and frankly, we're both a little nuts.  


It was fun being in a social situation where I controlled my eating.  And I found I could focus on the other person, not on what was on my plate or what was being served next.   Plus, I wasn't tempted to eat a single bite mainly because I was laughing too hard.  


Maybe that's what we all need when any addiction starts.  A good friend that makes you laugh, and will  listen to you when you need to cry.


Day 19:  still living on juice/ .1 pound loss/total loss 18.8


Quote for the day:  "It always seems impossible until it is done." Nelson Mandela

Pat Dennis
Author
Hotdish To Die For
Hotdish Haiku
Who Died In Here?
Stand-Up and Die
Anne Frasier's Deadly Treats 
and more

1 comment: