Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day After My Thirty Day Fast

When I stepped on the scale this morning, I weighed the same as yesterday.  I lost 25.8 during my thirty day juice fast.  I am completely, and utterly happy about it  

Because I did a  60 day juice fast before, I had no idea if the weight would come off as quickly.  During the first month of my last endeavor, I lost 28 pounds. The three pound difference this time around is barely noticeable.

I am also very happy that it is over.  I have missed food, missed parts of my social life and for some reason this time around, I found I couldn't focus.  During my 60 day fast, I was unbelievably prolific, writing four short stories, setting up a  website, creating new avenues of marketing my work and managing to do a few performances. (Not so much for a twenty-year old, but I am in my early 60s).   I think that I was just so freaked out that I wouldn't have food for what seemed an eternity, that I needed to find an outlet.

This time around, not so much.  From day one, I realized 30 days isn't that long.  After all I had gone without solid food for two months. In fact, ruminated about the end being just around the corner.  So I shuffled my feet, and basically catnapped during these last 4 weeks.  I am pretty sure, because of that, I will probably not do another extended fast for quite a while.

But I am going to keep juicing in my life.  I believe what Joe Cross said about micronutrients. Mean Green will now be my cocktail of choice. And I may end up replacing juice for one meal a day, or two.  Or I may end up doing a fast for five days or one day.  But, actually right now I don't know. At the moment I am tired of rules and want to become the rebel that I was born to be.  (Not too exciting.  At my age being a rebel means refusing to renew your AARP membership,)

So, I am going to take a few days off from the blog.  I need to process some things that have been going on in my life.  Plus, I need to figure out exactly how much I have lost since my highest weight (I think it's 59.25 pounds)  and what my new goal is gong to  be.  I will post all of that, plus what I actually weigh now in a few days.  

I am off for a mini-vacation, having no performance commitments for the next few weeks.  Last night's show was incredible.  I actually had a partner for a quarter of my stand-up act.  Just this sweet, intoxicated gentleman who decided to stand next to me while I performed.  He was adorable in his cowboy hat and wide smile.  At first I was kind of shocked when he came up to me, but since the crowd seemed to enjoy it I just went with it.  What ever happened, happened.  I wasn't worried at all and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. I could tell he sincerely wanted to encourage me.  He was like this tipsy Uncle who loved you unconditionally.  It turned out to be one of the best performances of my career.

And right now, with my weight?  I'm not worried about it either.  I'm just going to flow with whatever comes my way.  I doubt if there will be a drunken Uncle pointing out what foods to eat.  But, the one thing I will remember is the one that I keep forgetting.  Happiness is the sign that I'm doing something right. Sadness is the sign, that you are not.

Thank you for reading my posts.  This blog has been the reason I have stayed on track for the last 31 days.


Day 30:  Day after my juice fast/back on solid foods/stayed the same/-25.8 Total Loss

Quote for the day:    "Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all -" Emily Dickinson

Pat Dennis
Corporate comedian and author:
Hotdish To Die For
Hotdish Haiku
Stand-Up and Die
Anne Frasier's Deadly Treats 
and more


1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for writing this blog. Congratulations for sticking it out for 30 days and for being entertaining in sharing your experience along the way.

    ReplyDelete