Thursday, December 29, 2011

Day 15: down another .4 Way to go me!

The scale came though for me today.  It showed a loss, releasing me from yesterday's plateau.  Of course, I have no idea what it will not say tomorrow.  But one thing I know, it will not say the same as when I started this second juice fast.  Not even I could gain 16.4 pounds overnight.

A close friend tried to offer me a friendly suggestion today about my fast.   He suggested it wouldn't harm me if I had only one meal for New Year's Eve and immediately go back on the fast.   Poor guy.  For the next twenty minutes he had to listen to my diatribe on how I can't break this fast, even for one second.  Not a grape, nor a raisin, nor a shred of lettuce will cross my lips.  Why?  Because I have done that all of my life.  I am notorious for drifting off course,  ending up worlds away from my original destination.  In fact, I am convinced the diet industry teaches us it's okay to "break your diet" every once in while, just to keep us caught hopelessly in a cycle of gaining and dieting.

Maybe some people could have a meal and immediately begin to juice again.  Not me.  More than likely, this is what would happen.  I'd have the meal.  Then I would ask the waiter to give me a box to take the small portion I hadn't scarfed down home.  At home, I  would say, "Well, this probably doesn't freeze well".  The next thought would be, "You know a piece of buttered bread would go really good with this."  Followed by, "Well, I could consider the entire evening one continuous meal.  Maybe I could add a little..." etc., etc., etc.

It's far easier to give up a New Year's Eve dinner then it would be to start the fast over again.  I'd love to celebrate the holiday at a fancy restaurant.  But instead, I will be sitting in my basement family room, watching DVDs with my husband, knowing I am taking care of myself.  Which actually isn't a bad way to start the New Year.

But next New Year's Eve? The sky's the limit. And that sky will probably be in Las Vegas.


Day 14: Still Juicing/16.4 pounds lost

Quote for the day:  "If  you want to feel rich, just count all the gifts you have that money can't buy."

Pat Dennis
Author
Hotdish To Die For
Hotdish Haiku
Who Died In Here?
Stand-Up and Die
and more

2 comments: