Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 16: Lost .6 -Total Loss of 17 pounds so far

If you copy and paste the following link in your web browser - you will a photo and recipe of a dish I have been salivating over for two days ...
http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

Yep, that's what juice fasting  reduces  you to...a craving for roasted broccoli and baked sweet potato fries.  I am noticing that, unlike the last fast, I am searching the web for healthy recipes.  When I do allow myself to think about food, I think how nice it would be to have a steaming bowl of squash soup. Or a salad of spinach topped with fresh strawberries.  When my  latest order from Amazon arrived today - a Wilton Nonstick 6-cavity Donut pan for baking donuts, not frying them - I  squealed in delight when the UPS driver handed the package to me.  And tonight, after finishing the blog, I will start to collect recipes for making sugar-free, fat-free, baked donuts.  Sure, they won't taste like the real thing, but they'll look like the real thing.  And sometimes that's good enough.

For instance, I'd love to have a big diamond ring, but I'd lose it.  I lose everything (except weight for most of my life). There's not a day that goes by that I don't spend at least a half-hour looking for something.  If I ever write a memoir, it will be titled "A Life Spent Looking for Car Keys", not very catchy but totally accurate.  So instead of a massive diamond, I have an even bigger zirconia  When I look at it, it makes me smile. I feel like the poor man's Elizabeth Taylor. But more important, I don't have to worry about it.  I am sure I will have the same reaction to the baked donut.  It may not be the real thing, but I won't have to worry about eating it.

And for a compulsive overeater - stress free eating  is better than anything fried.

Day 15:  Still managing to juice fast but hanging on by a poorly painted fingernail:  17 pounds lost.

Quote for the day:  "We are constantly invited to be what we are..." Henry David Thoreau

Pat Dennis
Author
Hotdish To Die For
Hotdish Haiku
Who Died In Here?
Stand-Up and Die
and more

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is brilliant. I relate to so much of what you say. I'm also a food addict and I'm either eating super healthy or eating everything whether it tastes good or not. I hope you continue on your fast because I want to keep reading your posts. You have inspired me to restart my juice fast tomorrow.... I even started watching "Sick Fat and Nearly Dead" again while reading your posts. Fight for your health! Stay on your fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks amazing. Made my mouth water. Now to find a recipe for sweet potato fries! I will have to try it once my juice fast is over. I am on day 8 of a 30 days juice fast. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly! And thanks, Sarah. I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lara. Best of luck with your fast.

    ReplyDelete