Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 7: My Favorite Juice and resisting samples at Sam's Club

Free food is always tempting to me.  Yep, I am one of those pathetic folks who line up in front of the sample ladies at Costco and Sam's Club. (I have a membership for both. Probably just to enjoy the freebies.)  Today  at Sam's Club, the samples were  sumptuous slices of two different cakes.  One was a decadent chocolate spoon cake and the other a double layer carrot cake.  And the slices were huge, not your ordinary small slice.  These were a normal sized slice.  It was late in the afternoon. The sample ladies obviously wanted to clear out their stock.  They were letting people take one of each.

It was as if I won the Fat Girl Lottery.  Two pieces of cake?  Both of them free?  I stood there watching the other customers grabbed up the goodies.  If I hadn't started this #$%%^& fast, I would have as well. But then, that is why I am on this fast.  I still look at every bit of food as if it were the last morsel on the planet.  I was tempted only briefly to scoop up the deserts. After that I had to fight the brilliant idea of taking them home to freeze in my freezer for a later date.  (Trust me, they would have been off my front seat and into my mouth by the time I drove out of the parking lot.)  But, I reminded myself there will always be cake.  Always.  But I will not always be here.  And as long as I am here - on this planet - I'd like to learn to be able to take care of myself better. That includes eating healthy.

So I came home and made my favorite juice, tomatoes and celery juice with a dash of hot sauce.  A spicy treat that I make only on special days when I need a pick up. It worked.  I have no plans to drive back to Sam's.

DAY 7:  Still Juicing/ Feeling Great

Quote for the day:  "Never judge a book by its movie." J. W. Eagan

Pat Dennis
Author
Hotdish To Die For
Stand Up and Die
Who Died in Here?
Hotdish Haiku

No comments:

Post a Comment