Friday, December 16, 2011

Day Two: Really? I Posted What On The Web?

As I sit here, with my caffeine withdrawal headache, feeling totally exhausted due in part to a lack of sleep, I begin to wonder if I should have posted that I am doing a second 60 day juice fast.  What about a 30 day fast?  Wouldn't that be impressive?  Or a ten day fast?  I mean I already paid my dues with the first one, right?

Actually I have no idea how long I can keep this up again.  All I know is that I had to stop what I was doing -- eating uncontrollably. Example: I bought 18 large cookies to take to a potluck, and I ate 4 of them on the way. And I am talking the extra large, saucer size. Of course, I also ate at the potluck.

It's been that way -on and off - since I finished my 60 day juice fast almost three months ago.  The first week post fast, I was fine. I kept the food intake to a decent amount, focused on veggies, fruit, and healthy protein. Everything Joe Cross, the author of Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, said to do.

The second week I had a house guest that I prepared meals for, tasty ones I knew she'd enjoy.  I slipped a little. A few days after she left, I became very ill.  Barely able to move, I drove to the doctor alone. A chest x-ray showed that I had pneumonia - - a serious condition for someone who has congestive heart failure.  I hung around just long enough to receive my prescription and then -- though I was very ill -- headed to the nearest Perkins for a stack of pancakes and strips of crisp bacon.  It's been that way ever since.

But now, two days into the second fast, I finally feel like I can breathe again. My overeating and subsequent weight gain was incredibly stressful for me. The only way I knew to stop my addiction was to step back from food, totally.  But being free of your drug of choice does have its own issues. In O.A. they teach you, "If you want to see why you're eating, then stop eating."

Now that I have stopped using pastries and potato chips, to block the constant torment of my personal demons and gremlins, the next few days should be a challenge.

But then, aren't they all?

Quote for the day:  "Let your faith be bigger than your fear."

Pat Dennis
Author
Hotdish To Die For
Hotdish Haiku
Who Died In Here?
Stand-Up and Die
and more

No comments:

Post a Comment